About the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District
The HDSID is a public-private partnership, 501(C) through which property and business owners have a direct impact on Historic Downtown Jersey City neighborhoods and their development. HDSID works with local businesses, property owners and neighborhood associations in conjunction with the City government to promote the area, improve the services provided and undertake any and all activity to make Historic Downtown Jersey City a better place to live, work and visit. Monthly meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of every month in The Caucus Room of City Hall and are open to the public.
A SID assessment is a fee that each property owner pays to support the operations of the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District. The sum of all the individual assessments comprises the total yearly assessment of the SID, and underwrites most, if not all, annual operating expenses. The fee is determined by square footage of first floor spaces on properties within the boundaries.
Benefits for HDSID Businesses
- Cleaner Streets – The HDSID employs a Clean Team to sweep the streets, empty overflowing garbage cans, and salt curb cuts during inclement weather.
- Safer Neighborhoods – In addition to our Clean Team being the every day eyes and ears on the street, the HDSID has an off-duty officer patrol the district during the warmer months on weekends from Midnight to 4AM
- Discounted Rates – HDSID Businesses receive a 50% discount on booth fees for The Farmers Market, The All About Downtown Street Fair, and the Holiday Market
- Grand Openings – Each year the HDSID welcomes new businesses to the area by holding Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies. We will schedule the event with City Hall, promote via social media, and provide pictures for the business owner
- Special Events – The Helps organize special community event like Pictures with The Easter Bunny, Halloween on Newark Ave, Light it Blue for Autism
- Holiday Decor - The HDSID works to get business sponsorships for the Holiday lights on major thoroughfares within the district boundaries in addition to the Christmas tree and Menorah on The Pedestrian Mall and the Christmas Tree in Mercado Park
- Marketing Assistance – The HDSID maintains a variety of social media channels and produces a weekly blog Business owners can submit special events, stories, and sales at no cost. Submit your info